In September 2011, the CA State Board of Regulations finalized comprehensive, empowering, and pro-parent implementing regulations for the CA Parent Trigger law. The original legislation was vague or silent on many details governing the actual use of the law, making the implementing regulations critical to parents who wanted to use it. (To learn more about parents' incredible year long successful fight to pass these regulations, click here).
The final regulations help protect parents' rights in a number of critical ways, including:
- Set strict rules and timetables for petition verification so that no district can ever again violate parents' Constitutional rights by illegally discarding their petitions
- Protect parents from harassment and intimidation by district employees
- Prevent district resources from being used to stop parents from organizing
- Force the CA Department of Education to create a model petition so that parents' voices can never again be silenced because of a typo
- Provide notice to parents of their right to use the law at every Parent Trigger eligible school in California every year
- Allow parents to have a broad range of choices when deciding what type of school transformation they need for their children. Under the new regulations, parents can select from several different in-district reform options, select a specific charter school operator on the front end, or convert to a charter by holding a parent-led RFP process after the signatures have already been gathered.
To download the final implementing regulations in their entirety, click here.